I’d like to tell you about a fantastic book that I read recently called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It has even been perched on the New York Times Best Seller List. Rubin chose a different area of her life for each month and had specific tools to strengthen happiness, such as:
Remember Love (Marriage)
Aim Higher (Work)
Lighten Up (Parenthood)
Keep A Contented Heart (Attitude)
A year ago I checked out the book from the library. I returned it after two days and ordered it from Amazon because I quickly realized that this is a book that I would need to underline and write in my own notes.
One of the projects I did from the book was to make my own list of personal commandments. They are hanging on my bathroom mirror because I need frequent reminders. My personal commandments are:
1) Act the way you want to feel.
2) Do what ought to be done.
3) Be present in the moment.
4) Be kinder than necessary.
5) There is only love.
6) Live deliberately.
7) Say “yes” to life.
8) Smile always.
9) Spend out. (Taken from the Happiness Project book which talked about not taking things for granted, and celebrating the small victories of each day. Don’t save the nice dishes for a special occasion – because EVERY day is a special occasion.)
10) Be Cory.
I have great news for you! This incredibly nice author has donated a copy of the book for a free giveaway on fastcory! I hear you wondering how you can get your hands on this amazing book. There are four ways to enter the contest:
1) Click the follow button on the top right and become a fastcory.com follower. (If you are already a follower, just let me know in a comment): 3 Entries
2) Mention the contest on your blog or Facebook: 3 Entries
3) Visit Gretchen Rubin/The Happiness Project on Facebook and click the Like button: 3 Entries
4) Add a comment about something that makes you happy: 1 Entry per comment - the more the merrier!
Winner will be drawn at random in one week on August 10th. Good luck!